Our Pre-Order Initiative
We believe in a mindful and conscious approach to fashion & design, therefore combining sustainability with elevated style. Since its inception, FOLKDAYS has been built around the concepts of fair production from natural, high-quality sources and the preservation of traditional craftsmanship in developing countries. Rather than following short-term trends, our fair fashion, jewellery, accessories, and interior products stand for longevity – a far cry from fast consumption.
Beginning in Summer 2019, we’re taking another important step towards consequent sustainability: With our pre-order initiative, we’re testing a new system that involves you, our customers and our community, even more.
Until now, we’ve featured our artisans on a section of our website to introduce you to the people who craft your products. In the future, we will also make the individual manufacturing process more accessible for you to experience. In some cases, even allowing you to witness the production of centuries-old handicrafts! By showcasing the process, we want to celebrate and acknowledge that this piece has been specially created for you and is well worth the wait. What could be better than knowing that something has been lovingly handcrafted just for you?
The pre-order initiative is also our answer to a recurring problem that most small labels face, but rarely talk about. Fair collaboration with our artisans implies that we pay a major part of the production costs up front when we order the products, as this allows the artisans to buy the materials needed for the production. The remainder is paid by us as soon as the products are shipped. This means we often pay weeks or months in advance, which is a huge contrast to how other (bigger) fashion companies work since they often only pay after the arrival of their products. In our case, we carry most of the financial responsibility, which is necessary for fair and sustainable collaboration with our artisans. Because of this, we are continuously pushing our financial boundaries and are under constant pressure, which also greatly hinders our ability to try new things or develop further. We believe that this can be changed and, in fact, needs to be changed in order to create sustainable company structures.
But it only works hand in hand with you.
So let’s change the system!
Together we can set an example for conscious sustainability and increased appreciation for your purchased products.
How does pre-order work?
– We launch new products on a regular basis, which you can find with the other products, as well as in the “Pre-Order” category.
– The product is available for pre-order for 2 weeks.
– The pre-order closes after 2 weeks and the order will be transferred to the specific artisan, who will then start to manufacture your product.
– During production, we will share the process with you so you can see how your product is being made.
– You will receive your order within 2-6 weeks after pre-order closes. Delivery time may differ according to the complexity of the product.
– The pre-order concept enables us to offer a 10% off without compromising our mission or quality standards.
Our return policies for pre-order products can be found here.
Advantages of pre-order
Pre-Order is an amazing sustainable concept not just for youbut also for the planet. It gives you an immense power in implementing sustainability in a real and conscientious way. Not only by changing your consumer behavior, but also by supporting (design) labels to establish healthy business models.
Moreover, your mindful decision to purchase aproduct allows us to control and prohibit overproduction, while also giving you access to theproduction processes of our artisans around the world. That makes every piece unique and your pre-order product a commissioned production just for you. As you accompany your pre-order product in the manufacturing process, you can witness first-hand how much love and craftsmanship goes into each and every piece. Our hope is that this gives rise to greater anticipation and lasting appreciation for your new item.
Photo: Joanna Catherine Schröder for FOLKDAYS
It’s worth the wait because…
… Your conscious, sustainable decisions have a positive impact on the environment, as well as on the longevity and survival of small businesses:
– By knowing the demand for a product before the production starts, we can adjust the quantity and avoid overproduction, thus reducing waste.
– When it comes to a product that will be with you for a long time and is meant to become your favourite piece for eternity, 4-8 weeks is a reasonable wait time.
– We hope that you’ll love your product even more, knowing that it has been made just for you.